Friday, March 9, 2018

Word Power - The Strength of Quotes


Occasionally a good saying will file itself in my brain for future reference such as this challenging command from Eleanor Roosevelt.

“Do one thing every day that scares you.”
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Some days I do just that. Some days I’m too scared.


When I spend time with a word (as I sometimes do), I like to research its etymology (the origin and evolution of a word). When I researched the word, quote, I learned the following.
  • I have been using the word, quote, interchangeably with the word, quotation, to refer to what someone has said or written.
  • Quotation is the noun form of the word and is defined as the exact repetition of something someone else writes or says.
  • The one syllable version, quote, is the verb form and denotes the act of repeating verbatim what another has said or written. 
As much as I love words, I had no idea I was misusing this one in its proper forms. Regardless, a quotation is relatively short, and what makes it memorable and repeatable is that it speaks to an event or emotion to which we can identify.

Quotations speak a multitude of truths with very few words.

As for the word's history, I consulted Merriam Webster which describes the evolution from the 1500s to current times as follows.
Sometimes passages in books are numbered. The English word quote came from a medieval Latin word quotare that meant “to refer to a passage by number.” English quote means “to repeat the words of a passage exactly.” The idea of number has been lost.
"Quote." Merriam-Webster.com. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2018.

Interesting.

A contractor probably thinks of a quote in terms of number of dollars when he estimates the cost of a construction project, not word repetition.

So it seems the word quotare in the English form has split into two singular meanings from its original combination.

I'm certain I am more interested in all that backstory than you are, but the thing on which we can agree is that quotes are commanding and catchy. I love them because the words can easily be memorized and recalled for inspiration when needed.

Some of my favorite quotes are about writing like the one listed on Kelsey Messner’s website, kelseymessner.com, from James A. Michener, who says,

“I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions.”
  
These two sentences are powerful expressions of what writing means to me. The words weave in and around the tongue like a snake slithering through the grass, over rocks, and around trees. Not that I like snakes (though they are necessary for our survival), but I do like the sound of the swirl and swing and the taunt of the tangle of human emotions. It speaks to my writer soul.

“Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.” - Louis L’Amour

Mr. L’Amour’s words motivate me to put words on paper regardless of whether I have anything to say at the moment or not. He understood the very act of writing sparks ideas that will catch fire and burn across the page.

And then there’s Yogi Berra with his nonsensical but comical quirps such as  

"Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.”  - Yogi Berra 

 
“A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.” - Yogi Berra

And the best Yogi-ism of all to me, one that makes a lot of sense, one that inspires me. 

“If you don’t know where you’re going, you might end up some place else.” - Yogi Berra

Now, that is some good advice. No goals? Destination unknown. Doesn't that just make you want to do some planning so that you end up where you want to go and not somewhere else? When I lose sight of my goals, I glance at those words and the power of them corrals my wandering dysfunction into submission. I retrieve my list of goals, review them, and start moving forward again.

While Yogi's words motivate me to reach for the stars, Winston Churchill's remind me to slow down and take notice of other people.

“We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.”
- Winston Churchill

Sixteen words arranged in a particular way that sums up an incredible principal by which we all should live. I love the simplicity, and the weightiness, and the depth of those sixteen words. They inspire me to live a better life, to let go of the chaos and pursue a more compassionate and meaningful existence that puts other's needs before my own.

And, lastly, a passage from the most quoted book of all.


"An idea well-expressed is like a design of gold, set in silver." - Proverbs 25:11 (GNT) 


I hope this conversation motivates you to search for a few of your own favorite quotations to have on hand when you need a dose of inspiration or need the right words to inspire or encourage someone else. I would love to hear one of your favorites!

1 comment:

  1. Good job, Fran! I have been misusing "quote" myself! And I love the Yogi Berra quotation as well as Proverbs 18:21 which has been a guiding light for me many years.
    Hugs,
    Elva Cobb Martin

    ReplyDelete

Writers' Police Academy

BeenBad Police Department The Writers' Police Academy is designed for writers of suspense and police procedurals. My husband, D...